Contents of the show
Mr. Beetle’s Watery Adventure is a show for children in Key Stage 2 on the subject of water lasting approximately 1 hour 30 minutes with a break half way through.
The idea is to be entertaining without compromising on good scientific content. It looks at its subject from a variety of viewpoints:
- Physics: the unique properties of water
- Chemistry: its importance as a solvent & medium for chemical reactions
- Biology: that these properties make water essential for life on earth & that aquatic animals are adapted to their environment
- Sustainable development: the availability of clean water supplies & pollution of the environment as important contemporary issues
- Research: as we extend our knowledge we improve our understanding of natural systems & find new solutions to old problems
These themes are approached in a cross curricular way through the story of a small beetle who becomes trapped on the surface film of a pond. The show is a combination of storytelling, laboratory demonstration & audience partcipation.
Mr Beetle’s Watery Adventure
A half-day show for primary schools covering habitats and the properties of water. Contact Barry Patterson